Sunday, November 6, 2011

Assessment

For this weeks articles I read the two Cunningham and Allington articles.  First, I found the information on how to determine reading level very insightful! I never really gave much thought to how I would assess student's reading level- guess I just assumed tests and exams would cover it.... man I was wrong!!  I will definitely have to keep these strategies with me (on page 207)

I also really enjoyed the part in chapter 11 about the struggling older student tutoring the younger struggling reader. I think this is a fantastic idea because sometimes students need to work with other students because they can give a different point of view, one that the other student might understand. I know for me just talking to another student can help me better understand something when I haven't the fainted idea when the teacher is talking to me :) I think having the older student help the younger student with reading is a great way for the older student to practice using any strategies they have learned when reading!

2 comments:

  1. I think by having older children tutor young kids in concepts, it helps the older child to explain their thinking process out loud. I think that this is a very beneficial step for them because it helps them realize how they think and process things! And by having them teach what they think are "easy concepts" it gives them confidence in their academic abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this used at deaf school. Middle grades went to the elementary school to read to the younger students. This was great for practicing ASL skills in story telling but also using English word order when reading from the books. The older students loved the added responsibility and the younger ones benefited from the one on one attention.

    ReplyDelete